• Latoya J. Jessamy

Reducing Self Employment Tax

Updated: 7 days ago

What is self-employment tax?

Self-employment [SE] tax is Social Security and Medicare taxes for self-employed individuals [not including income tax]. Unlike employees, whose employers pay half of their Social Security and Medicare taxes, self employed individuals are responsible for paying both the employee & employer portion of the tax, essentially paying 15.3% of net income. This tax is ultimately an enormous burden on an entrepreneur’s profits. However, the requirement to pay only comes into effect if net profits exceed $400.

How to reduce self-employment tax?

Business deductions

A common way of reducing SE tax is by deducting, from gross income, all ordinary and necessary expenses incurred while operating your business. In addition, those proprietors who use the accrual basis method of accounting can also prepay expenses for the current year, as these expenses would be reported when accrued rather than when paid. In essence, the goal is to reduce net income as much as possible, and the outcome will be a reduction of your self-employment tax.

Deferring Income

Another way of reducing SE tax is by deferring income. This technique would only be beneficial if the business owner uses the cash basis method of accounting, as income would be reported when cash is received. For instance, if an entrepreneur has had a very profitable year that is not expected to continue in the following calendar year, it might make sense to defer additional year-end receipts of earnings to the next tax year. This method would limit the amount of profits reported, thus reducing SE tax owed for the current tax year.

Forming an S-Corp

SE tax can also be reduced by forming an S-Corporation. For S-Corps, self-employment tax will be paid on earned income only. In other words, the salary you pay yourself. The tax is not applicable to unearned income i.e. dividends, profit distributions or other forms of passive earnings. This is a very creative way of reducing tax since you can pay yourself a salary, then take the remaining profits as a tax-free distribution. It is worth noting however, that the salary you pay yourself must be reasonable for your profession. Otherwise, you may put yourself at risk for an IRS audit or other actions.

To provide an example of how an S-Corp is taxed, suppose your business earns $50,000 through out the year. If you are a sole proprietor, partner in a partnership, or an LLC considered as a disregarded entity, you will be taxed on the entire amount, thus owing $7,650 for SE tax. On the other hand, if your business is setup as an S-Corp, and you pay yourself a salary of $30,000, you will then owe $4,590 for SE tax. The remaining $20,000 in profits can then be taken as a profit distribution free of SE tax. The general idea here is to have a reasonable salary, based on industry standards, and distribute the remaining income.

24 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Things to know about the child tax credit!

Taxpayers may be able to claim the child tax credit if they have a qualifying child under the age of 17. Part of this credit can be refundable, so it may give taxpayers a refund even if they don’t owe

© 2016 Precise Accounting Services | All Rights Reserved